Domestic Violence

A- A A+

The YWCA of Palm Beach County provides individual counseling to women in the community to cope with their abusive relationships in order to make the best possible choices for their life and well being. Women in Transition (WIT) Support Group is another program offered by the YWCA of Palm Beach County where women who have experienced abusive relationships learn to take back their power while breaking the cycle of violence.

Since the 1970’s, the YWCA has been providing residential services to victims of domestic violence and their children. In 1993, the Mary Rubloff YWCA Harmony House was established. Today the shelter has a capacity of 72 residents and provides a cadre of supportive services including case management, transportation, legal advocacy, food, clothing and guidance in finding employment. Assistance is provided in getting children enrolled in child care and or a safe school environment. For special services such as medical care, drug and alcohol treatment, and/or psychiatric services, referrals are made to appropriate agencies in the community.

DV SAFEhouse Rapid Re-housing (DVRRH) Program offers utility and rental deposits, and rental assistance up to three (3) months to victims of domestic violence who have become homeless. Also provided are basic needs including food and clothing, safety planning, advocacy and case management. Through assistance in obtaining permanent housing and supportive services, victims of domestic violence and their children can live abuse free.

In an effort to reach young people with the message that violence is not acceptable behavior, the YWCA administers YSAV (YWCA Students Against Violence) an 8 session anti-violence educational program for school aged children.


Does Your Partner:

  • Treat you roughly – grabbing, shoving, pinching or pushing you?
  • Use intimidation or threats to gain compliance?
  • Tell you that you are nothing without him?
  • Use drugs or alcohol as an excuse for saying or doing hurtful things to you?
  • Blame you for how he feels or acts?
  • Isolate you from your family and friends?

Do You:

  • Make excuses to other people for your partner’s behavior?
  • Feel like no matter what you do, you cannot please him?
  • Always do what your partner wants you to do rather than what you want to do?
  • Try not to do anything that will make your partner angry or cause conflict?

For more information, please call (561) 640-0050.